LudoNarraCon 2023, the annual digital convention dedicated to narrative-driven games, was a huge success. Over the course of three days, attendees were treated to a wealth of exciting new games, insightful discussions, and thought-provoking panels. With so much content to absorb, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the top 10 key takeaways from LudoNarraCon 2023.
10 key takeaways from LudoNarraCon 2023
- Inclusivity and Diversity are crucial in Gaming: Many panels and discussions at the event focused on the importance of creating inclusive and diverse games that accurately represent the experiences of all gamers. This includes having diverse characters, storylines, and gameplay mechanics that are accessible to all players.
- Narrative-driven games continue to evolve and innovate: From minimalist experiences that explore the beauty of everyday life to emotionally charged games that tackle complex themes, there was no shortage of unique and compelling titles on display at LudoNarraCon 2023.
- Interactive storytelling is a complex and collaborative process: Creating a compelling story in a video game is no easy task. It requires collaboration between writers, designers, and developers to ensure that the story fits seamlessly into the gameplay.
- Indie developers are a driving force in the gaming industry: LudoNarraCon 2023 provided a platform for many small studios to showcase their work and connect with a wider audience. It highlighted the importance of supporting independent developers who often bring fresh and innovative ideas to the table.
- There’s a growing interest in exploring everyday life in games: Many of the games showcased at the event explored the beauty of everyday life, showing that even the most mundane experiences can be transformed into something magical and compelling.
- The gaming industry is increasingly global: LudoNarraCon 2023 featured games from all over the world, highlighting the diversity of voices and perspectives in the industry.
- The line between games and other forms of media is becoming increasingly blurred: Many of the games showcased at LudoNarraCon 2023 blended elements of film, literature, and other forms of media to create truly unique and immersive experiences.
- Game developers are exploring new ways to tell stories: From text-based adventure games to games that use augmented reality, developers are constantly experimenting with new ways to tell stories in interactive environments.
- The gaming community is passionate and engaged: LudoNarraCon 2023 provided a space for gamers and developers to connect, share ideas, and discuss the future of narrative-driven games.
- Narrative-driven games have the power to change the world: Through exploring complex themes and engaging with diverse perspectives, narrative-driven games have the power to educate, challenge, and inspire players in profound ways.
LudoNarraCon 2023 did not disappoint, pushing the threshold further in celebration of the creativity, diversity, and innovation in the gaming industry. It provided a platform for developers and gamers alike to come together, share ideas, and shape the future of narrative-driven games.
How writers can learn from critical conversations in the games industry, whether scriptwriting or creative writing, journalists or poets.
LudoNarraCon 2023 was a showcase of the best of narrative-driven games and the power of storytelling. But the insights and takeaways from the event aren’t limited to just the gaming industry. They can be applied across all creative writing mediums, from scriptwriting and creative writing to journalism and poetry.
One of the most important takeaways from LudoNarraCon 2023 is the power of diverse and inclusive storytelling. In order to create truly engaging and meaningful stories, it’s essential to include a diverse range of perspectives and experiences. This is just as important in other forms of writing, such as journalism and poetry, where representation and inclusivity are crucial to telling the full story.
The event also highlighted the importance of collaboration and experimentation in storytelling. In order to create truly innovative and compelling stories, it’s essential to be open to new ideas and to collaborate with others to bring those ideas to life. This is true in all writing mediums, whether it’s working with other writers, editors, or artists to create a more immersive and engaging experience for the reader.
LudoNarraCon 2023 also emphasized the importance of exploring new ways to tell stories. By experimenting with different forms and mediums, writers can create more dynamic and immersive experiences for readers. This can be seen in everything from text-based games to augmented reality experiences, and can be applied across all creative writing mediums.
Finally, the event highlighted the importance of storytelling in driving social change. Narrative-driven games have the power to educate, challenge, and inspire players, just as journalism and other forms of writing have the power to drive social change through storytelling.
What a year, the insights and takeaways from LudoNarraCon 2023 have a meaningful impact on all forms of creative writing. By prioritizing diversity and inclusivity, collaboration and experimentation, and the power of storytelling to drive social change, writers of all mediums can create more engaging, innovative, and impactful work.
Here’s a reading list of sorts, for a deeper and yet approachable dive into widely available projects to invite you into the conversation.
There are many games that are currently prioritizing diverse and inclusive storytelling. Some examples include:
- “Life is Strange: True Colors” – This game features a diverse cast of characters and explores themes of identity, mental health, and LGBTQ+ issues.
- “Tell Me Why” – This game features a transgender main character and explores themes of family, identity, and mental health.
- “The Last of Us Part II” – This game features a diverse cast of characters and explores themes of revenge, trauma, and empathy.
- “Assassin’s Creed Valhalla” – This game features a female protagonist and explores themes of identity, culture, and history.
- “Outer Wilds” – This game features a diverse cast of characters and explores themes of exploration, discovery, and the nature of existence.
These are just a few examples, but there are many more games out there that are pushing the boundaries of storytelling and prioritizing inclusivity and diversity in their narratives.
Here’s an example of looks in other mediums
There are also many examples of other creative mediums that are prioritizing diversity and inclusivity in their storytelling. Here are a few examples (or at least, some of my favorites):
- TV shows like “Pose,” “Dear White People,” and “Master of None” feature diverse casts and explore issues related to race, gender, and sexuality.
- Novels like “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas, “The Vanishing Half” by Brit Bennett, and “The Water Dancer” by Ta-Nehisi Coates feature diverse characters and explore themes related to identity, history, and social justice.
- Films like “Moonlight,” “Get Out,” and “Crazy Rich Asians” feature diverse casts and explore issues related to race, gender, and class.
- Plays like “Hamilton,” “The Color Purple,” and “Angels in America” feature diverse casts and explore issues related to history, politics, and identity.
In all of these examples, the creators prioritize telling stories from diverse perspectives and exploring important social issues. By doing so, they are able to create more engaging, meaningful, and impactful stories that resonate with a wider audience
Be sure and
Be sure to follow along on Twitter and join the LudoNarraCon Discord if you haven’t already, to keep up with all the latest Fellow Traveller news!
And, please help us spread the word on by sharing the news, along with the hashtag #LudoNarraCon
Thanks for reading, folx. I’m so grateful to your support and excited to celebrate the 10th year of this blog. What a journey! So many great conversations and friendships formed. I love you all!
Leave a Reply